Missouri Isn’t Immune To Distracted Driving
Many of the accidents that take place here in Missouri are attributed to distracted driving, which is defined as anything that takes your eyes, mind or hands away from the task at hand – driving.
If you were injured by a distracted driver, call attorney Joe Backer in Independence for a free consultation at 816-399-5219.
What Things Distract Drivers?
Many things can distract someone while driving. Consider the following:
- Eating or drinking primarily requires the use of your hands
- Using a GPS system requires the use of your hands, eyes and mind
- Grooming requires the use of your eyes and hands
- Using a smartphone requires the use of your hands, eyes and mind
- Watching videos on your phone, tablet, computer or your vehicle’s infotainment system requires your eyes and mind, and sometimes your hands
- Searching for something in the vehicle requires the use of your hands and eyes
- Talking to your passengers or on the phone requires your mind
- Composing and sending or reading a text requires your hands, eyes and mind
Texting and driving has become something of an epidemic across the country. Some people say it’s as bad, if not worse, than drunk driving. The injuries you could suffer in a crash caused by someone texting could be catastrophic.
If A Distracted Driver Causes You Injuries
Missouri’s negligence laws work the same in distracted driving accidents as they do in any other crash. Proving negligence requires establishing that the other driver owed you a duty, that he or she breached that duty, that you suffered injuries and that the other driver’s actions caused them. Once you establish those facts, you must then show the court that you suffered economic and/or noneconomic damages as a result.
Work With Someone Experienced Who Has Your Back
Put the experience of The Backer Law Firm to work for you. Joe Backer has extensive experience representing people in personal injury cases involving auto accidents caused by a variety of factors, including distracted driving.
We offer a free initial consultation to give you an honest assessment of your case. Give our lawyer Joe Backer a call at 816-399-5219 or contact us online. We represent injured people in Kansas City and the surrounding areas. Let us fight for you.